The world of small business marketing is a constantly changing environment, and hiring an expert in the field might be the best option to grow your small business. Star of the popular TV show Shark Tank offers his expertise on this and other aspects of small business marketing.
In a recent interview with Entrepreneur, Robert Herjavec, an investor on ABC’s popular show Shark Tank, offered advice to help small business owners grow their businesses while still running an effective operation. Herjavec points out that a large amount of small business owners, whether established in their field or just starting out, lack expertise in the marketing field. This, of course, is not surprising. But there are certain things that every small business owner can do to bring in new customers and grow their business.
Herjavec noted in the interview when discussing his start as an entrepreneur, “Like many entrepreneurs, we didn’t really know what to do at first. As a start-up, it’s almost overwhelming. I learned that’s where a third party comes in to help you. They take the marketing pressure off so you can do more of what you love to do – your business.” He then offered five of his “top” marketing tips for small businesses in any market:
- Target your customers where they hang out on social media. Business owners must go beyond simply having social media websites by constructing highly targeted marketing campaigns to acquire new customers.
- Don’t be afraid to sell direct online. Many small businesses that do business online still do not have shopping carts for customers to buy directly. Start by building trust in your product and your website; again, this may represent another opportunity for third-party expertise.
- Grab your customers’ attention. Herjavec says, “People are very busy and the first thing that hits them in any marketing communication is a really pretty picture, not words, and I know that sounds really trivial, but that engages people and gets them to look at more of your outreach.”
- Market to your customers how they like to be marketed to. Your customers do not want their emails bogged down with constant marketing content, and It’s your job—or your consultant’s job—to know how much communication is too much.
- Hire a marketing agency so you can focus on your business. Outsourcing your marketing needs allows you to focus your time and energy on the product or service you are selling. Herjavec continues, “I always say, if you’re not a marketing person, you didn’t start the business to do marketing, so don’t do it.”
Not every business owner is equipped to both run the business and promote the business. Although hiring a third party expert for marketing can be expensive, the right consultant will generate a solid return on your investment. No cash to grow? Consider how a capital advance could provide your business with the necessary capital hire a marketing expert and start growing your business more rapidly. Spend your time and energy on generating a quality product or service to your customers and let someone else take over your marketing programs.